Read the post in: 繁體中文
Made of bittersweet dark chocolate, salted caramel layer, and nutty base, this rich, sweet-yet-not-so-sweet Vegan Chocolate Salted Caramel Tart is an everlasting treat!
Vegan Chocolate Salted Caramel Tart
Everything tastes great as long as there is chocolate, right? And this dessert not only got covered with chocolate but also filled with a caramel layer. So that’s even better!
Don’t assume that it’s very sugary because it has the word “caramel.” Actually, it’s sugar-free. Aha! (Please don’t hit me. )
The traditional caramel sauce is made from dairy-cream and white sugar, which often makes it taste cloying after a second or third bite. When I was a non-vegan and went out to some dessert shops, some of the caramel sauce was so sickly sweet that made me need to grab another food, be it a piece of cake or bread, to sooth the overly sweet taste.
And since I’ve quit dairy and become a vegan (About my story), my taste bud gradually becomes more sensitive to dairy. It has become almost like an unpleasant “fishy” taste for me. So, this dessert (yeah, I’m back) got none of the disagreeable stuff. It tastes real, rich, and pleasingly satisfying!
It’s made of 3 layers:
- A never-to-much bittersweet dark chocolate layer
- A rich and sweet caramel layer
- An I-could-eat-forever nutty base
Looks like a little bit complicated, uh? But it’s not. It’s really easy and simple to make and you should finish all the work in 20 minutes or 30 max.
When I used to make traditional French dessert, one of the things I did most often was cooking caramel sauce. Stay rested, this time we don’t need to cook it, and we don’t need an oven as well. You only need a food processor to be the best assistant.
Only 7 Ingredients!
The bittersweet dark chocolate set off the sweet and a litter savory caramel sauce really well. And the nutty base is also a must to create depth and complexity for this tart. You know, my friend, I love rich flavor, and this chocolate caramel tart is definitely my jam.
The trigger of making this chocolate caramel tart is a photo by The Happy Pear, who is one of my favorite YouTuber. So even though I got quite a few desserts in my fridge already, I couldn’t help but make this deliciousness!
Without saying more, let’s make this decadent-look but de facto heavenly deliciousness.
全素巧克力鹽味焦糖塔 Vegan Chocolate Salted Caramel Tart
For the base 底層
- 30 g pitted dates 去籽椰棗乾
- 50 g walnuts 核桃
- 50 g almonds 杏仁
- 1/8 tsp salt 鹽
For the caramel layer 焦糖層
- 100 g pitted dates 去籽椰棗乾
- 50 g almond butter 純杏仁醬, See note for homemade recipe 自製作法見註
- 4 Tbsp water 飲用水
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil 椰子油
- 1/4 tsp salt 鹽, taste to add more as you like 試味道依個人口味調整
For the chocolate layer 巧克力層
- 100 g dark chocolate 黑巧克力 , recommend using 70% 建議用可可含量 70% 的
- 取一 6 吋圓模或塔模，底層鋪烘焙紙，將混合物填壓入模具底部，冷凍備用
- 取出冷凍的底層，將焦糖層混合物鋪於底層上，放回冷凍 5-10 分鐘
- 放回冷凍，再冰 5-10 分鐘，至巧克力層凝固即可切塊享用
To make the base
- Add the pitted dates to a food processor to chop them into chunks.
- Add in other base ingredients and continue to process until the mixture could stick together when pressed between your finger. If the mixture is on the dry side, add a little bit water to help to bind.
- Line the bottom of a 6" pan with parchment paper. Transfer the base mixture to the pan and press them down with the spatula or your clean fingers. Then put it into freezer while we make the caramel layer.
To make the caramel layer
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor until smooth, or as smooth as possible. Stop and scrape down the side as needed.
- Remove the pan from the freezer. Spread the caramel mixture onto the base evenly and return it to the freezer for 5-10 minutes.
To make the chocolate layer
- Melt the chocolate by using a double boiler or a microwave.
- Take out the pan from the freezer. Pour the melted chocolate onto the caramel layer. Wiggle the pan to even the chocolate out.
- Return it to the freezer for another 5-10 minutes to let the chocolate get solid. Once it's solid, it time to dive in!