Read the post in: 繁體中文
Covered with chocolate, filled with naturally sweet caramel with a biscuit based, these Vegan Caramel Chocolate Bars are super delicious and also healthy. And you only need 8 ingredients to make them!
I’ve been thinking about making these caramel chocolate bars for a long time because I kept seeing the Twix bars in the stores. (haha)
But Twix bars in the stores are not vegan, so let’s make our own vegan Twix!
They are made of 3 elements:
- A biscuit base that’s made of rolled oats and almonds
- A caramel filling that’s naturally sweet and hard to resist
- A chocolate coating that I would eat forever if I could
And they’re surprising healthy as well! Just and FYI.
It’s easy to make these Vegan Chocolate Caramel Bars. You only need 8 ingredients, and all you need to do is basically mixing stuff up (excuse my plain English). One thing to note that you do need a food processor to do the blitzing job for you.
The caramel part is amazing with the bitter-sweet chocolate flavor. I use some toasted almond flakes in the base to bring it to the next level. You can also just use almond flour or almond meal to replace the almond flakes (by weight, though).
These Vegan Chocolate Caramel Bars are bigger than regular Twix bars as well. One bar will really satisfy my sweet tooth.
They are really really delicious and freeze really well. I think they could be freezer like forever, but I think I will finish a batch of these caramelly babies in 2 weeks.
Vegan Caramel Chocolate Bars (8 ingredients)
- 60 g (½ cup + 1 heaping Tbsp) rolled oats 傳統燕麥片, or instant oats
- 50 g (a heaping ½ cup) almond flakes 杏仁片, slightly toasted, or almond flour/almond meal
- 2 Tbsp cashew butter 腰果醬, or almond butter 杏仁醬*
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup 楓糖漿
- A pinch of salt 鹽
- 170 g (1 cup) pitted dates 去籽椰棗乾
- 120 ml (½ cup) drinking water 飲用水
- 2 Tbsp cashew butter 腰果醬, or almond butter 杏仁醬
- ¼ vanilla pod 香草莢, or ½ tsp vanilla extract 純香草精
- A pinch of salt 鹽
- Start by soak the dates in the drinking water. This will make the later processing job much easier.
To make the base
- Line an 8" loaf pan with parchment paper. Set it aside.
- In a food processor, add the oats and almond flakes. Process until they become powdery.
- Add cashew butter, maple syrup, and salt. Continue to blitz until the mixture can stick together when pressed between your fingers.
- Transfer the mixture into the lined loaf pan. Press the mixture down firmly. Place into the freezer while we make the filling.
To make the caramel filling
- Scrape out the seeds from the vanilla pod. Add them to a strong food processor blender along with the soaking dates (with the soaking water), cashew butter, and salt. Blend until it becomes a caramelly paste.
- Take out the pan from the freezer. Add the caramel filling onto the base. Smooth the top. Return to the freezer for 3 hours or until the caramel is firm and not sticky to the touch.
- Remove the long log from the pan. Use a sharp knife to chop it into 7 thick slices. Return to the freezer while we prepare the chocolate coating.
To make the chocolate coating and assembly
- Melt the chocolate by using a double boiler (bain-marie). Once all chocolate is melted, turn off the heat.
- Use two forks to help to coat the bars in the melted chocolate. Sprinkle some fleur de sel on top if you like. Let the chocolate set up for about 30 minutes. If you're in hot weather, return them to the freezer for 5 minutes to set up. Then EAT!