Read the post in: 繁體中文
Stacked with vegetables with just a few ingredients, these Vegetable Korean Pancakes are easy to make but serve so well as an additional side dish.
Vegan Korean Pancake (Yachaejeon)
I love Korean food. Whenever I go to a Korean restaurant, I usually order Bibimbap and Korean pancakes, also known as Yachaejeon. But most of the Korean pancakes outside are not vegan. So here are the Vegan Korean Pancakes!
Common Korean pancakes (Jeon) are mainly divided into 3 flavors: seafood, kimchi, and vegetables. They all based on the same batter, so, why not having the delicious and nutritious vegetables?
It’s really simple and easy to make these Yachaejeon. You only need 7 ingredients, minus the salt and water. And you can even cut down the ingredient list by just using fewer types of vegetables.
Here I use what I have at hand: carrots, red peppers, and zucchini. I also add some peas to add more color and texture, which is totally optional.
Different from the regular batter that only uses white flour, the Korean pancake batter also contain potato starch to produce a slightly different texture.
You can adjust the amount after trying this recipe first to suit your taste. Or if you don’t have potato starch at hand, you can also try to replace it with all-purpose flour, but you might need to cut down the amount of water.
The texture of these Korean Vegetable Pancakes are crispy on the outside and a little bit soft inside. My sister says that they taste good.
I personally like to cook them until they’re a bit brown on the outside, which will give them a toasty flavor.
Here I also share a simple sauce recipe for these vegetable pancakes. The sauce is based on some basic Asian seasoning, like soy sauce, sesame oil, and rice vinegar.
These vegetable Korean pancakes are really yummy and you can easily make them at home. If you’re interested in more Korean recipes, check out my Vegan Kimchi, Bibimbap, and Korean Veggie Stir-fry Noodles (Japchae).
Okay, shall we?
蔬菜韓式煎餅 Vegetable Korean Pancake (Yachaejeon)
- 65 g (½ cup) all-purpose flour 中筋麵粉
- 38 g (¼ cup) potato starch 馬鈴薯澱粉, or rice flour
- ¼ tsp salt 鹽, I use black salt
- 120 ml cold water 冰水
- ½ small carrot 胡蘿蔔, thinly sliced 切細條
- ½ small red pepper 紅甜椒, thinly sliced 切細條
- ½ small zucchini 櫛瓜, thinly sliced 切細條
- 4 Tbsp peas 豌豆, optional
- 1-2 Tbsp oil 油, for frying
- 1 tbsp soy sauce 醬油
- ½ tbsp rice vinegar 米醋
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil 白芝麻油
- 1 tsp light brown sugar 黃砂糖
- 1-2 Tbsp water 水
- ¼ garlic powder 大蒜粉
- ½ tsp toasted sesame seeds 熟白芝麻
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour, potato starch, salt, and water. Mix to combine.
- Add the sliced vegetables. Stir to mix all together.
- Place a frying pan over medium heat. Add the oil and gently wiggle the pan to let the oil distribute evenly.
- Once the pan is well-heating, pour the mixture onto the pan and spread it out a big to make it into a single layer.
- Cook on the first side for about 5 minutes over medium heat. Then flip to cook the other side for another 3 minutes or until both sides get slightly brown.
- Preparing the sauce while cook on the first side: Add all sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Once the pancake is down on both sides, transfer it to a cutting board and chop into the shapes you like. I chop them into triangle slices like pizza! Serve with the sauce. Enjoy!
- 第一面用中火煎約 5 分鐘，之後翻面再煎 3 分鐘，或至兩面都有點棕黃色