Read the post in: 繁體中文
Want some dark chocolate flavor and got the nutrition of beet the same time? Here I present these Vegan Beet Chocolate Brownies, and I promise that you wouldn’t taste the beet.
Vegan Beet Chocolate Brownies
Yes, brownies AGAIN. But this time, I sneak in a special ingredient. You should know that when reading the title, right? You “beet” me to it! 😉
If I haven’t told you, would you know that there’s beetroot in these gorgeous brownies? I assume that you wouldn’t.
In fact, even though I know that and I made them myself, I don’t see or taste a trace of beet. So, if you got friends or kids who don’t like beet, make these brownies for them! (Just kidding but you could totally do it, BTW.)
And they are vegan, which means there is no egg, no dairy, no an ounce of animal product in this recipe. I didn’t use wheat flour for this recipe as well, so if you’re sensitive to gluten, you could enjoy these amazing Beet Dark Chocolate Brownies as well.
If you have seen my Avocado Chocolate Brownies recipe or Sweet Potato Chocolate Brownies recipe, you probably know that I like to add different veggies or produce into my sweets. This time, it’s beetroot.
Beetroot is one of my favorite veggies. They got the natural pink color and earthy-sweet flavor that make it so unique. These brownies are a great way to make good use of the sweetness from the beet to create “sneaky” desserts.
I remembered when I took the first bite for these beet chocolate brownies, I was amazed by how chocolaty they are, thanks to the real dark chocolate and the cacao powder.
The texture of these beet brownies is between fudgy and caky. It’s recommended to enjoy them warm because they will be a little bit dry when cold. But if you like that kind of texture, go ahead and enjoy them as you like.
I add additional chocolate chips and desiccated coconut on top for decoration as well as adding texture. You could add other toppings like walnuts, pecans, or nothing.
If you have beets at hand and don’t know how to do with them, try these Beet Dark Chocolate Brownies! Let me know how it went and what you think by taking a picture of them and sharing it on Facebook or Instagram with tag @Barrelleaf + #barrelleaf.
To this point, you might feel like: “Wow, there’s a lot of brownies going on.” I probably would respond: “Yes, it is because there is no such thing as ‘too many brownies’ in my world.” 🙂
OK, let’s do this!
Beet Dark Chocolate Brownies
- 100 g cook beetroot 熟甜菜根, chopped 切塊
- 1 Tbsp water 水
- 55 g dark chocolate 黑巧克力, 70 %
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil 椰子油
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup 楓糖漿
- 1 Tbsp
pure vanilla extract 純香草精
- 1 Tbsp
soy flour 生黃豆粉
- ⅛ tsp salt 鹽, optional 非必要
- 2.5 Tbsp
cacao powder 生可可粉, or cocoa powder 或熟可可粉 ~15g
- 1.5 Tbsp
coconut flour 椰子細粉
- ¼ tsp baking soda 小蘇打粉
- 25 g dark chocolate chips 黑巧克力豆
- A small handful desiccated coconut 椰蓉
- Preheat the oven at 175 C / 350 F. Line an 8" loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, add the chopped cooked beets and the water. Process into a puree-like texture.
- In another bowl, add the chocolate and coconut oil. Melt them together by using a double boiler or a microwave.
- Once the chocolate has melted, add them to the beet puree in the food processor along with the rest ingredients, including maple syrup, vanilla, soy flour, cacao powder, coconut flour, and baking soda. Continue to process to incorporate all. Stop and scrape down the sides as needed.
- Transfer the mixture into the lined loaf pan. Spread it out evenly then add the chocolate chips and desiccated coconut on top.
- Bake at 175 C / 350 F for about 20 minutes until firm.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 20 minutes before cutting into squares. Enjoy!
- 將烤箱以 175 C / 350 F 預熱。取一 8 吋長條麵包模，裡頭鋪烘焙紙備用。
- 放入烤箱，以 175 C / 350 F 烘烤約 20 分鐘，至質地實、無溼麵糊
- 取出，讓它在模具中靜置 20 分鐘後再取出，切塊享用