Read the post in: 繁體中文
Combined with a soft nougat, date caramel filling with peanuts, and chocolate coating, these Vegan Snicker Bars are amazing and made with wholesome ingredients!
Homemade Vegan Snickers Bars
Trust me, I’ve been thinking about making snickers bars for a long long long time. But every time I wanted to make them, I was short of something from the ingredient list. It’s until recently that I bought tons of peanuts that I think it’s the time to make my snickers bars.
These snickers bars are vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, and definitely better for your body compared to store-bought ones. They’re made with whole food without any refined sugar and oil.
I’m not against sugar and oil. I still consume them in moderation and use them in many other recipes. So don’t mistake this for a sign of demonizing them. It just a simple case that we don’t need them in this recipe. 😎
And also, don’t assume that this vegan version of snickers bars is not as goo as the common one. In fact, the taste is really really amazing like the “real deal“, even better, if I may say that. : )
INGREDIENTS FOR VEGAN SNICKERS BARS
The list is not super short but not very long either. You only need 10 ingredients to make these amazing snickers bars!
And if you make your own peanut butter as I often do, there’re just 9 ingredients, to be exact. (If you’re interested in making your own nut butter, you can read this post: How to Make Nut Butter)
- Rolled Oats: build up the base for our nougat layer.
- Cashews: add texture and a little creaminess to our nougat, preferably soaked ahead of time.
- Almonds: add a slightly crunchy texture to the base. It’s better to soak and blanch them.
- Coconut Flour: absorbs moisture and helps to form the base. You can try to use oat flour but you might need more because coconut flour is quite absorbent.
- Maple Syrup: offers the sweetness that we need in the snickers bars. It’s a must. Don’t omit it!
- Peanut Butter: We totally need peanut butter in our life (at least I do) and in these snickers bars.
- Dates: the hero of the caramel filling and my favorite dried fruits.
- Vanilla Extract: add the ‘je ne sais quoi’ flavor.
- Toasted Peanuts: Again, you cannot call them snickers if there is no peanut in them.
- Dark Chocolate: to cover the whole goodness with (more) awesome food.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN SNICKERS BARS
It might look a bit complicated based on the picture but it’s really simple to make. Basically, you just blend different things and put them together.
- To make the nougat layer: Grind the oats, cashews, and almonds in a food processor.
- Add coconut flour, maple syrup, peanut butter, and salt (optional). Blend all together.
- Press the nougat mixture into a pan and place it into the freezer.
- To make the caramel layer: blend the dates with the soaking water, maple syrup, and peanut butter together until smooth.
- Pour the caramel mixture onto the nougat base. Sprinkle the toasted peanut on top.
- Freeze it for 4-6 hours. Cut them into slices.
- Melt the dark chocolate to coat each slice. Let it sit for a minute and EAT!
To acquire a better result, it’s better to soak your cashews, almonds, and dates ahead of time. This step not only makes the blending process easier to the food processor and also makes the nuts more digestible to our body.
There’s no specific amount of the soaking water for cashews and almonds because we’ll drain it out after, but I do have a certain amount of water for soaking dates. I’ll list all the exact amount of ingredients in the recipe box down below.
The nougat base got a firm but easy to bite texture. Together with the peanut-flavored caramel filling, roasted peanuts, and chocolate coating, this copycat version of snickers bars is really really amazing!
Once you bring one bar to your mouth, it’s kind of hard to let it go, which is definately not a bad thing. 😉
I hope you got a chance to make it and let me know what do you think of this vegan, nutritious version of snickers bars.
If you’re interested in more vegan desserts, you can check out:
- Vegan Chocolate Caramel Bars (8 ingredients)
- Vegan Banana Cream Pie Cups (8 ingredients)
- Vegan Avocado Chocolate Brownies (10 ingredients)
Easy Snicker Bars (Vegan + Wholesome!)
Nougat Base / 牛軋底層
- 23 g (¼ cup) rolled oats 傳統燕麥片
- 30 g (¼ cup) raw cashews 生腰果
- 30 g (¼ cup) raw almonds 生杏仁
- 1 Tbsp coconut flour 椰子細粉
- 1 ½ Tbsp maple syrup 楓糖漿
- ½ Tbsp peanut butter 花生醬
- A pinch of salt 鹽, optional
Caramel Layer / 焦糖層
- 85 g (½ cup) pitted dates 去籽椰棗乾
- 1 tsp maple syrup 楓糖漿
- ½ Tbsp peanut butter 花生醬
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract 香草精
- 4 Tbsp roasted peanuts 炒熟花生
Chocolate Coating / 巧克力層
- 100 g (3.5 oz) dark chocolate chips 黑巧克力豆
Before we start
- Start by soaking the cashews and almonds in water for 3-6 hours. Darin out the water and give them a rinse. Blanch the almonds one by one for a better texture.
- Soak the pitted dates in 60 ml (¼ cup) drinking water for 30-60 minutes.
- Line a 6″ loaf pan with parchment paper. (Don’t panic. There’s no baking involved.)
To make the nougat layer
- Add the rolled oats, cashews, and almonds in a food processor and chop them finely.
- Add the coconut flour, maple syrup, peanut butter, and salt (optional). Blend all together until the mixture can stick together when pressed between your fingers.
- Press the nougat mixture into a lined pan and place it into the freezer while we make the caramel layer.
To make the caramel layer
- Pour the caramel mixture onto the nougat base and spread it out evenly.
- Sprinkle the toasted peanut on the top and press them a bit so they’re half-submerged in the caramel layer.
- Freeze it for 4-6 hours until firm. Then cut them into slices and let them stay in the freezer while we melt the chocolate.
To make the chocolate coating
- Melt the dark chocolate by using a double boiler (bain-marie).
- Do your best to coat each slice with melted chocolate. Let it sit for a minute to let the chocolate solidify. Then … PUT INTO YOUR MOUTH! yeah.
- 將腰果與杏仁浸泡於水中 3-6 小時，之後將水倒掉，稍微沖洗一下後，將杏仁去皮
- 將椰棗浸泡於 60 ml 水中 30-60 分鐘
- 將一個 6 吋長的麵包模內鋪烘焙紙備用 (別緊張，這次沒有要烤啦)
- 加入椰子細粉、楓糖漿、花生醬、鹽 (非必要)，攪打混合均勻
- 表面撒上烤過的花生，冷凍 4-6 小時，之後切成條，冷凍備用
- 將每一條裹上巧克力外衣，靜置約 1 分鐘讓巧克力凝固，接著，放入你的嘴巴裡吧!
- Adapted from Days Like Laura
- Storage: Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3 days or 2 weeks in the freezer.