Read the post in: 繁體中文
Yes, this is a dairy-free, Vegan Sour Cream! It’s creamy, tangy, and easy to make with only 4 ingredients!
Homemade Vegan Sour Cream
I’ve been thinking about making vegan sour cream for a long time. But, you know, sometimes you just find yourself got a long to-do list. And I’m kind of busy fixing some stuff about my website, so this vegan sour cream just faded away in my head.
It’s not until a while ago that one of you left a comment mentioning the sour cream, it suddenly came to my mind again. And I was afraid that I would forget it again, so I decided to make and test it a few days ago. So, here it is!
I’ve made common sour cream before I became a vegan. It’s actually quite simple. So I think it shouldn’t be hard to make the vegan version as well.
Different from common sour cream, which is usually made from dairy milk, we’re going to use cashews instead. After soaking and blending, the cashews will be very creamy, just like regular sour cream. And cashews are white in color, which is also the color of common sour cream. So, they’re really the best options.
Sour cream is simply made of “milk” and “acid.” The milk part here is cashew milk. As for the acid part, there are two ingredients: lemon juice and apple cider vinegar.
Why use two kinds of acid? Well, I’ll say because the taste is different. You could just use 1 acid as well, but I prefer the 2-kind version.
Even though I kind of had the basic idea of making vegan sour cream, I still read Angela’s recipe for reference and adjust the amount according to my taste.
I kind of like a more prominent sour taste, so I use more apple cider vinegar than Angela’s. But if you’re not sure if you’re into the sour taste, just add the apple cider vinegar little by little and taste along the way.
INGREDIENTS FOR VEGAN CASHEW CREAM
- Raw Cashews: build the creamy base for our vegan sour cream.
- Lemon Juice: serves the natural sour taste.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: add a different sour taste and depth.
- Salt: essential to bring out the whole flavor.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN CASHEW CREAM
It’s really easy and quick to make your own vegan cashew cream as long as you soak the cashews first.
- Soak the cashew for 4-6 hours.
- Drain out the soaking water and blend the cashews with other ingredients.
- Refrigerate. Done!
If you want your sour cream to really creamy, I’ll suggest using a good blender like Vitamix or Blendtec. I personally use my own beloved Vitamix.
If I didn’t tell you that this sour cream is vegan, could you tell it? At least I can’t because it looks really similar to the common kind. But the taste is way lighter and you won’t feel heavy after eating it.
You can serve this vegan sour cream as a dip, an additional sauce for your guacamole, or add it on curry dishes to make it looks beautiful and more flavorful. It also goes really well with the Pumpkin Black Bean Avocado Tortilla Cups as well.
This vegan sour cream is easy to make with only 4 ingredients. Most of them are probably already in your kitchen. So, what are we waiting for?
Other sauce you might also be interested:
4 樣食材! 自製全素酸奶 4-Ingredient Vegan Sour Cream
- 100 g (½+⅓ cup) raw cashews 生腰果
- 85 ml (⅓ cup + 1 tsp) drinking water 飲用水
- 2 tsp lemon juice or lime juice 檸檬汁或萊姆汁
- ½-1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar 蘋果醋
- ⅛-½ tsp salt 鹽
- Soak the raw cashews in water (not included in the recipe) for 4-6 hours. Then drain out the water and give them a gentle rinse.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. (See Note*)
- Taste and add more salt or lemon juice if needed.
- 將生腰果浸泡於飲用水中 (食譜份量外)，浸泡 4-6 小時，之後濾掉水，再用飲用水稍微沖洗
- Transfer the mixture to an air-tight container and place it in the fridge for 3 hours. Then you can enjoy them with whatever you want.
- 倒入密封罐中，密封冷藏 3 小時即可搭配享用