Read the post in: 繁體中文
Rich, umami peanut butter sauce covering tofu and noodles, then wrapped by fresh, crispy lettuce, this Vegan Peanut Butter Tofu Lettuce Noodle Wraps (or just noodles) are one of my favourite meals to enjoy all around the year, especially in summer. It’s refreshing and super satisfying at the same time!
Story behind this Peanut Butter Tofu Noodle Lettuce Wraps
If you know me, you know I’m one of the biggest fan of peanut butter. I have it in both sweet and savoury food, and I sincerely adore my Umami Easy Peanut Sauce.
So when I stumbled upon a firecracker vegan lettuce wraps recipe that had peanut butter and tofu inside by Lindsay from Pinch of Yum about 2 years ago, I was so thrilled to try it out.
And during these 2 years, I’ve adjusted the recipe according to my liking along the way. And here I can’t wait to share with you!
What’s special about this Peanut Butter Tofu Noodle Lettuce Wraps?
- Super creamy with captivating umami flavours
- Refreshing on lettuce wrap, perfect for summer
- Vegan, no dairy, no any animal products used
- Enjoy the way you want, either on lettuce leaves or on its own
Peanut Butter Tofu Noodle Lettuce Wraps
For the Peanut Sauce
- 45 g peanut butter, natural without added sugar and oil (3 Tbsp)
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce, light
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/4 garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 Tbsp cane sugar
- 1 tsp siracha, optional
For the Tofu & Noodles
- 1 tsp vegetable oil, I use extra-virgin rapeseed oil
- 250 g firm tofu, drained & cubed (half a big pack, ~8.8 0z)
- 70 g wholewheat noodles, dry (2.5 oz)
- 2 spring onions, chopped
For the Wraps (serving & topping)
- 1 – 2 lettuce, medium, for wrapping
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp chili oil, optional (I use Homemade Chili Oil)
- Mix sauce: Mix all the sauce ingredients in a bowl. Set it aside for later.
- Prepare the tofu: Drain out the water from the tofu and cut it into cubes (if you haven’t).
- Cook the tofu: Place a deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the cubed tofu. Cook the first side for about 4 minutes until golden brown. Then use a silicone spatula or chopsticks to turn the tofu cubes to a different side. Cook another 2–3 minutes until it’s coloured, too. Then add garlic powder and ground ginger to the tofu. Gently flip them.
- Cook the noodles: While the tofu is cooking, boil enough hot water to cook the noodles for 2 minutes, or according to the package. Make sure don’t overcook them. Then drain out the water. Rinse the noodles under cold water. Cut the noodles in half with scissors.
- Mix all: Add the mixed peanut butter sauce to the tofu along with the cooked noodles. Stir to bring everything together. Then turn off the heat. Sprinkle chopped spring onions on top.
- To serve: Add an appropriate amount of the peanut butter tofu mix on top of each lettuce. Add chili flakes and chili oil if you want. Enjoy them warm!
- Storage: It’s best to enjoy these wraps freshly made. But if you got leftover, you can store the tofu and noodles in a food container and store it in the fridge for another 2 days. Microwave to reheat before serving and enjoy with fresh lettuce or on its own.
- Adapted from Pinch of Yum
How to Store Peanut Butter Tofu Noodle Lettuce Wraps
It’s best to enjoy these wraps freshly made. But if you got leftover, you can store the tofu and noodles in a food container and store it in the fridge for another 2 days. Microwave to reheat before serving and enjoy with fresh lettuce or on its own.
Extra Tips for Success
- Cook tofu long enough first. We want to pan fry the tofu cubes until they are firmer with extra toasted flavour before mix it with other ingredients.
- Don’t overcook the noodles. Since we’re going to mix the noodles with the tofu after, make sure to NOT overcook the noodles.
- Follow the measurement. It’s best to use measuring spoons and scales to follow the recipe.
These peanut butter tofu lettuce wraps are really delicious with its creamy moorish tofu noodle and refreshing lettuce. I really love this dish and I hope you will love it too!