Read the post in: 繁體中文
Nutty, crunchy, and full of a variety of seeds, these Vegan Multi-seed Biscotti are nutritious and delicious snacks! Also, you don’t need oil or butter for this recipe.
Vegan Multiseed Biscotti
This biscotti recipe is really different from common ones, which is usually sweet and made with eggs, butter or oil. Instead, these biscotti are dairy-free, eggless, crunchy without oil.
The flavor is pretty neutral with both moderate sweetness and saltness, which makes them super great for snacking as crackers or serving with hummus.
This recipe is inspired by David Lebovitz‘s multigrain biscotti, which is not vegan. So, I just “veganize” it and adjust the ingredients and ratio according to my preferences and what I have at hand. It turns out amazing and really flavorful.
KEY INGREDIENTS FOR VEGAN MULTISEED BISCOTTI
The ingredient list might seem a little bit long but it’s all due to the “multi-seed” factor. If you cross the “seed part” out, you’ll find this biscotti ricipe super pantry-friendly.
- Flour: Yes, you must need flour. I like to use whole-wheat pastry flour because it adds another whole-grain tone to these biscotti. But you can just use common all-purpose flour just fine.
- Sugar: We need some sugar to give these biscotti flavor. Sometimes I use cane sugar, sometimes beet sugar.
- Salt: It brings out flavor from the nuts and seeds. You don’t need much as well.
- Seeds: Here I use the common ones like pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and sesame seeds.
- Almonds: I think they are a “must” in biscotti. They add flavor and texture to biscotti in a tremendous way.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN MULTISEED BISCOTTI
It’s really easy to make these multiseed biscotti. Basically, you just need to:
- Make the flax egg by mixing the flax meal with water. Set it aside.
- Mix the dry ingredients except for the almonds.
- Add the flax egg and vanilla extract. Combine all.
- Add the chopped almonds and form it into a flat log.
- Bake at 175 C for 25 minutes.
- Remove and let it cool.
- Slice the log into long pieces. Let each biscotti cookie lie down.
- Bake at 150 C for another 25 minutes. Let it cool completely. Done.
Even though these multi-seed biscotti are not as sweet as the common ones, the seeds and whole-wheat flavor really make me fall in love with them.
You don’t need oil in this recipe, but sometimes I’ll add a little bit olive oil to give them another depth of flavor.
They are great and nutritious snacks when you want something crunchy. And I also found that they go super well with my Beet Hummus.
If you’re interested in more vegan goodies, check out:
- Vegan Chewy Granola Bars (6 ingredients)
- Vegan Easy Snickers (wholesome!)
- HIMYM Vegan Sumbitches Cookies
Vegan Multiseed Biscotti 全植物多種籽義大利脆餅
- 1 Tbsp flax meal 亞麻籽粉
- 3 Tbsp water 水
- 92 g (½+⅛) whole-wheat pastry flour 全麥低筋麵粉, or all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar 顆粒蔗糖
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon 肉桂粉
- ¼ tsp baking soda 小蘇打粉
- ¼ tsp baking powder 泡打粉
- ¼ tsp salt 鹽
- black pepper 黑胡椒粉
- 70 g almonds 杏仁, toasted & roughly chopped1/2 cup
- 2 Tbsp pumpkin seeds 南瓜籽, ~ 25 g
- 2 Tbsp sunflower seeds 葵花籽, ~28 g
- 2 Tbsp white sesame seeds 白芝麻, 12 g
- 1 Tbsp quinoa 藜麥
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract 純香草精, optional
- Preheat oven to 175 C / 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make the flax egg first by mixing the flax meal with water. Set it aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients except for the almonds. Give them a mix.
- Add the flax egg and vanilla extract. Stir to combine all.
- Add in the chopped almonds and mix well. Then form it into a flat log.
- Place the log on the baking sheet. Bake at 175 C for 25 minutes.
- Remove and let it cool. Make sure you let it cool down. Otherwise, it’s easy to fall apart.
- Slice the log into long cookie pieces. Let each biscotti cookie lie down on the baking sheet.
- Bake at 150 C for another 25 minutes. Let it cool in the oven completely. Done.
- 放入烤箱，以 175 C 烘烤 25 分鐘
- 以 150 C 再烤 25 分鐘，讓它們在烤箱內放涼即可
- Storage: Store in an air-tight jar for 2-3 weeks.
- Adapted from David Lebovitz