Read the post in: 繁體中文
Crunchy, caramelly, sweet but not very sweet, this Vegan Golden Grahams has become my breakfast staple, no doubt.
I love cereal, as you might already know. It’s not until about two months ago that I finally got the chance to try Golden Grahams. (I grew up in Taiwan and still here!) But then I found out that not all Golden Grahams Cereal are vegan.
Are store-bought Golden Grahams Cereals vegan?
I’ve googled a few things and, as far as I know, Nestlé’s Golden Grahams seem to be vegan, but General Mills is not because it contains Vitamin D3, which is usually derived from sheep.
I’m a little bit shock and upset to myself because I didn’t pay attention to the Vitamix D3 when I bought it. And that’s also why I decided to make my own Vegan Golden Grahams Cereal.
I know it’s not gonna be 100% the same but I really enjoy this one and it has become one of my go-to breakfast options.
Ingredients You Need
- Whole Wheat Flour: This is the ingredient that I think take a huge part in making Golden Grahams “Golden Grahams.” The whole wheat note is something you cannot miss in this recipe.
- Oat Flour: Oat flour will produce a mild grain aroma that I really love!
- Tapioca Starch: I add a little bit of starch to enhance the binding effect.
- Coconut Sugar: If you have Golden Grahams cereal before, I think you will notice a slight caramel sweetness there. And coconut sugar will make it happen!
- Salt: Normally, I don’t talk about salt. But for this recipe, salt is really important to bring out the whole flavor.
- Molasse & Maple Syrup: Besides coconut sugar, we also need these two liquid sweeteners to create magic! I mean, the magical taste that I’m hooked on.
- Coconut Oil: I love the texture coconut oil creates in baked goods. I usually use extra-virgin coconut oil but I want to mention that you won’t taste the coconut flavor in the end, at least I didn’t notice that.
- Vanilla Extract: As I might have said before, almost everything tastes better with a little vanilla.
We also need some water to bring it all together.
I love to add a hint of ground cinnamon to give this cereal more flavor and “je ne sais quoi!”
How to Make Vegan Golden Grahams Cereal
It’s actually very easy to make this vegan golden grahams cereal. You just need to:
Add the wholewheat flour, oat flour, coconut sugar, and salt into a bowl. Mix them together. Add the rest ingredients as well as 20 g of water and mix them all together and press them into a dough. If it’s too dry, add a little more water to help.
Place the dough between two sheets of baking paper. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough into about 0.3cm 3333(1/8 inch) thick rectangle sheet. Use a sharp knife to cut some vertical and horizontal lines to create 1.5~1.8cm (0.6~0.7 inch) squares.
lace into the preheated oven at 160 C / 320F to bake for 20~25 minutes. Transfer the baking sheet onto a wire rack to cool down completely. And break it out into small squares with your hands. Enjoy!
Questions You Might Have
How to Store How to Make Vegan Golden Grahams Cereal
Store the cool cereal in an air-tight jar and they will be fine in 2~3 weeks. If you have a bigger family or you’re like me knowing that you will finish all sooner than you realize, double or triple the recipe to make a bigger batch.
How to Serve Vegan Golden Grahams Cereal
I mean, I know that cereal usually goes with (surely vegan) milk. I just want to mention how good it is to serve with thick soy milk. (The soy milk in Taiwan is really different from the one from western countries. Hope you can try it if you got a chance!)
Are there other substitutions for coconut oil?
Coconut oil really makes this cereal crunchy and crispy. But if you really don’t have it at hand, you can try to use vegan butter instead, though I haven’t tried it myself yet.
This homemade Vegan Golden Grahams Cereal is really delicious and crunchy. If you love crunchy cereal as much as I do, I think you’ll love it too! Let me know if you try. :))
More vegan breakfast recipes:
- Vegan Mushroom Quiche (gluten-free)
- The Best Vegan Gluten-free Pancakes (9 ingredients, NO bananas)
- Apple Pie Smoothie Bowl (5 ingredients)
Vegan Copycat Golden Grahams Cereal
- 67 g wholewheat flour, (1/2 cup)
- 45 g oat flour, (1/2 cup)
- 2 Tbsp tapioca starch
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, optional
- 10 g organic molasses
- 40 g maple syrup, (2 Tbsp)
- 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 160 C / 320F.
- Add the wholewheat flour, oat flour, tapioca starch, coconut sugar, salt, (and cinnamon if use) into a bowl. Mix them together.
- Add the rest ingredients as well as 20 g of water and mix all together and press into a dough. If it's too dry, add a little more water to help.
- Place the dough between two sheets of baking paper. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough into about 1/8 inch thick rectangle sheet.
- Use a sharp knife to cut some vertical and horizontal lines to create 1.5~1.8cm (0.6~0.7 inch) squares.
- Place into the preheated oven at 160 C / 320F to bake for 20~25 minutes.
- Transfer the baking sheet onto a wire rack to cool down completely. And break it out into small squares with your hands. Enjoy!
- Storage: Store in an air-tight container at room temperature for 2-3 weeks.
- Adapted from rabbit and wolves