This post is also available in: 繁體中文
These Vegan Brownies are rich but not dense and really amazing with the fluffy mousse-like frosting. It’s also gluten-free and made with whole-food-based ingredients. The point is … they are delicious!
There’re two things that I think I’ll never get bored of making (and eating). One is granola, the other is chocolate brownies.
There’s never too much chocolate brownie recipes. You agree, right?
Then, you might think, is there any special ingredient in these brownies too?
I’ll say there are different ingredients but not so special. But don’t go away just yet cus they are seriously way too delicious to miss out.
I think there’s nothing better than some rich vegan chocolate brownies with a layer of light chocolate mousse.
They are moist, chocolatey, and super delicious.
These brownies are super rich in chocolate flavor thanks to the real dark chocolate and coffee inside.
And these brownies probably are on the healthy-ish side since there’s no butter or added oil. But there’s still moist and fudgy, thanks to the applesauce and peanut butter.
Also, there’s a layer of fluffy chocolate mousse on top. It not only creates extra texture but also strikes a perfect balance with the chocolate brownies.
INGREDIENTS FOR VEGAN CHOCOLATE BROWNIES
- Dark Chocolate: We will use quite some dark chocolate to build up the rich chocolate flavor and fudgy texture. I recommend using the one with 70% cacao content, which will produce the right amount of pleasant sweetness and enchanting bitterness.
- Strong Coffee & Vanilla Extract: They can enhance the overall chocolate flavor.
- Oat Flour: Instead of regular wheat flour, we’re going to use oat flour to give these brownies the right texture and make them more friendly to gluten-sensitive friends. (You might want to use the oats marked “gluten-free” like this one)
- Arrowroot Starch: give some gooeyness to these brownies. You can also use tapioca flour if you don’t have arrowroot starch at hand.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: provides even stronger chocolate flavor and makes these brownies look sexy. ( They are really sexy in my eyes)
- Coconut Sugar: one of the sweeteners in this recipe. You can also use can sugar.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda: adds a little fluffy texture so it will be more pleasant to our mouth.
- Peanut Butter: Enrich the overall texture. You can also use other nut butter or tahini for substitution.
- Applesauce: It’s really a good way to sneak in some natural fruit in baked goods and you won’t taste it at all.
- Plant Milk: To adjust the consistency of the brownie batter. You can use any kind of plant milk.
- Dark Chocolate Chips: I wanted to say they are optional but I think you will miss out something extraordinary if you omit them. So, we need them in these brownies, so do our lives. (Vegan one for sure)
INGREDIENTS FOR VEGAN CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
- Dark Chocolate: Yes, chocolate again. We will make the chocolate-inside-out brownies. I’ll say go for the 70% one as well to create the on-spot flavor.
- Aquafaba: the secret ingredient for the chocolate mousse. You can just use the liquid from canned chickpea. I like to cook chickpeas by myself so I usually have tons of aquafaba left. The aquafaba is better to be cold for a better result.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN CHOCOLATE BROWNIES
It’s really easy to make the chocolate brownies. You just need two bowls and a spatula to finish the batter.
- Melt the chocolate with freshly brewed hot coffee. Set aside.
- Mix the dry ingredients.
- Add the peanut butter, vanilla, and applesauce to the chocolate-coffee bowl. Mix.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry one. Stir in the dark chocolate chips.
- Bake at 175 C / 350 F for 20 minutes. Let it cool a bit.
The mousse part is a little bit tricky because you need to pay attention to the details. You know, the devils are in the details.
Oh, and this time we need a stand mixer or a hand mixer to beat the aquafaba into a meringue-like thing. So it’s better to make sure you got the machine at hand before you start.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
- Melt the dark chocolate by using a double boiler or in a microwave. Let it cool down a little.
- Beat the aquafaba until it becomes foamy and gradually turns into a white mixture like whipped egg white.
- Gradually add the melted chocolate to the whipped aquafaba.
- When the mixture becomes a little bit liquidy, place the mixing bowl into the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- Take out the bowl from the fridge and whisk again for about 30 seconds until it starts to get lighter in texture. Do not overmix.
- Spread the chocolate mousse on the cooled brownies. EAT!
You can enjoy these brownies both warm or cold. The texture will be firmer when cold, softer, and moister when cold.
I like them either way. And you can choose based on the mood. (I do)
The rich chocolate flavor and fluffy chocolate mousse is everything I need in this chaotic and hectic world. (Seems like these brownies are turning me into a poet. Just kidding. 😎)
If you’re a chocoholic like me, I hope you really give them a try and share your chocolate soul with me. 🙂
More Vegan Dessert recipes for you:
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cups (5 ingredients + no-bake)
- Easy Snicker Bars (Vegan + Wholesome!)
- Vegan Chocolate Caramel Oat Bars
全植物巧克力布朗尼 + 巧克力慕斯霜 Vegan Brownies with Aquafaba Chocolate Mousse Frosting
For brownies 巧克力布朗尼
- 40 g (1/4 cup) 70% dark chocolate 黑巧克力, chopped finely 切碎
- 75 ml (1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp) strong coffee 濃咖啡, freshly brew 現泡的
- 75 g (3/4 + 1/8 cup) oat flour 燕麥粉, use gluten-free oat flour if sensitive
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot starch 葛根粉, or tapioca starch
- 24 g (4 Tbsp) unsweetened cocoa powder 無糖可可粉
- 40 g coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder 泡打粉
- 1/4 tsp baking soda 小蘇打粉
- 1/4 tsp salt 鹽
- 60 g (4 Tbsp) creamy peanut butter 柔滑花生醬
- 60 g (4 Tbsp) apple puree 蘋果泥
- 2 tsp vanilla extract 香草精
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) plant milk 植物奶
- 40 g dark chocolate chips 黑巧克力豆, 70%
For aquafaba chocolate mousse 巧克力慕斯霜
- 120 g (3/4 cup) 70% dark chocolate 黑巧克力, chopped 略切
- 120 ml aquafaba 鷹嘴豆水, chickpea water preferably cold
- A pinch of salt 鹽
To make the brownies:
- Preheat the oven to 175 C / 350 F. Line an 8×8″ square pan with parchment paper.
- Place 40g chopped chocolate into a bowl. Add the hot coffee. Let it sit for a few minutes. Then stir to make sure all chocolate is melted. Set it aside to cool down a little bit.
- In a mixing bowl, add the oat flour, arrowroot starch, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Give them a mix.
- To the chocolate/coffee mixture, add the peanut butter, applesauce, and vanilla extract. Stir them together.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry one. Stir for a few seconds. Then add the plant milk. Mix until the consistency is even. The batter is pretty thick.
- Finally, stir in the chocolate chips. Transfer the batter into the lined square pan. Spread the batter out evenly.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes until the surface is firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool down.
To make the aquafaba frosting:
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over simmering water or in a microwave. Set it aside to it cool a bit.
- Add the aquafaba to the bowl of a stand mixture (or use a hand mixer). Whisk for about 3-5 minutes until it becomes foamy. Then add a pinch of salt. Keep whisking.
- As the stand mixture keep whisking, gradually add the melted chocolate, about 3 Tbsp at a time. Depending on the temperature, the mixture might be liquidy. Place the mixing bowl to the fridge for about 30 minutes to let it chill and set up a little.
- Whisk again for about 1 minute until the mixture becomes fluffy and light. Make sure do not over-mix.
- Spread the aqufaba frosting onto the brownies. Add additional toppings if you like. Slice and EAT!
- 烤箱以 175 C 預熱。取一 8 吋方型烤盤，烤盤內鋪烘焙紙
- 將 40g 切碎巧克力放入碗中，倒入熱咖啡。靜置幾分鐘讓巧克力完全融化。置於一旁稍放涼備用
- 放入烤箱烘烤 20-22 分鐘，直到表面明顯結實凝固。取出置於網架上放涼
- 將鷹嘴豆水倒入桌上型攪拌機的攪拌盆中 (或用手持式攪拌機)，攪拌約 5 分鐘，加入 1 小撮鹽，繼續攪打
- 讓攪拌機持續攪打，慢慢分次加入融化的黑巧克力。視當時室溫與食材溫度，混合糊可能會偏液態狀。將攪拌盆放入冰箱冷藏約 30 分鐘，讓混合物冷卻、稍微凝固
- 再回去攪打約 1 分鐘，至混合物變得輕盈，切記不要過度攪打
- Storage: Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for 4 days or 2 weeks in the freezer.
- 保存：密封冷藏 4 天，冷凍 2 週