Read the post in: 繁體中文
Made of a gluten-free pie crust, sweet cooked apples, and delicious maple glaze, this Vegan Apple Pie is all I need when I feel like some autumn desserts!
Vegan Apple Pie (Gluten-Free)
I’ve been thinking about making a gluten-free vegan apple pie since the autumn walked in. In fact, I’ve tried a few times before but without satisfying success. It’s until December that I make this amazing Vegan Apple Pie that I want to share.
Apple pie has always been one of my favorite foods (did I say that too many times?). Before I became a vegan, I often bought American apple pie at Uptown Pastry (bakery shop in Taiwan).
But about two years ago when I entered the baking world, I gradually realized that there are usually a lot of addictives and some stuff we don’t actually hear before. And most of them are not vegan, so I want to make a Vegan Apple Pie.
This Vegan Apple Pie is not traditional American type, but rather more like a French styled one. It’s vegan, meaning no dairy, no egg, no animal product. It’s also gluten-free and white-sugar-free. FYI, it’s until recently I realized that some white sugar are not vegan because the refining process.
This Vegan Apple Pie is adapted from one of my favorite channel The Happy Pear. I adjust a little bit according to my taste and what I have at hand.
The pie crust is mainly made from ground almonds and oat flour. Instead of butter, the fat part is coconut oil and added with some applesauce. This pie crust is really amazing! I would say it wins over my heart than a regular one.
I make oat flour by grinding the rolled oats in a grinder. You can use pre-ground one for sure.
The apple filling is some apples cooked with orange juice, which gives it a natual, fruity sweet ness, adding more layers to the flavor.
The pie crust and filling are both spread with some homemade maple glaze (also in the recipe), which give thie apple pie a caramelly sweetness.
I add some walnuts, one of my favorite nuts, on top as well to make it looks pretty and more delicious. Yes, I said MORE.
Even though we don’t have many green apples in Taiwan, but we do have different types of apples from all over the world (maybe that’s an exaggeration, but we do have apples from the UK, South Africa, and Australia, etc. ) If you prefer a more tart flavor, you can use green apples. Regular apples will work just fine.
This time I use a type of apples call “Pink Lady.” It’s an Australian type. It has a crisp texture but not very hard. It’s sweet with a little tart undertone, so I think it’s a great choice for apple pie.
This apple pie does take some time and steps. But there’s a fun part: Layer up the apple slices. Here’s a tip: Layer them from outside to inside, one piece at a time.
Apple pie does not only serve as a great dessert, but also a breakfast option for me. Accompanied by a soy milk latte, this Vegan Apple Pie would make my day as simple as it is.
I like to have “hot” apple pie, so I usually make it ahead and reheat the slices in the oven before serving.
We got apples throughout the year and I love baked apples. If you under a similar situation, you can also check out my new Open-face Apple Pie that I made for Christmas, Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal, and Vegan Apple Crisp. OK, shall we?
全素蘋果派 (無麵粉) Vegan Apple Pie (Gluten-Free)
For the Apple Sauce 蘋果醬
- 1 medium apple 蘋果, (140 g) grated
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup 楓糖漿
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon 肉桂粉
For the Crust 派皮
- 70 g ground almond 杏仁粉
- 100 g rolled oats 傳統燕麥片, ground into flour*
- 50 g coconut oil 椰子油, melted if solid
- 2-3 Tbsp applesauce 蘋果醬, depending on the situation
- A pinch of salt 鹽
For the Apple Filling 蘋果餡
- 350 – 400 g apples 蘋果, I use 2 “pink lady”, cored and sliced
- 3 Tbsp orange juice 柳橙汁
- A pinch of salt 鹽
For the Maple Glaze 楓糖醬
For the Toppings
- 1 Tbsp walnuts 核桃, roughly chopped 略切
- 將烤箱以 175°C / 350°F 預熱
- 將派皮食材鋪入派盤中，放入預熱好的烤箱，以 175°C 烘烤約 15 分鐘，烘烤好後置於網架上放涼備用，烤箱不要關
- 等待派皮烘烤時製作蘋果餡：將蘋果餡的食材放入一鍋中，煮約 3 – 4 分鐘至蘋果軟化，置於一旁放涼備用
- 放回烤箱以 175°C 烘烤約 15 分鐘，至派皮金黃並聞到香氣即可
- 取出，讓蘋果派在派盤內靜置約 10 分鐘再取出切塊享用
- Slightly grease the pan with coconut oil.
To make the applesauce
- Add all ingredients to a saucepan and cook until the apple is soft and thicken. set it aside to let it cool down.
To make the pie crust:
- Preheat the oven at 175°C / 350°F.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. They should stick together and like a pastry dough.
- Press the crust mixture into the pie pan and bake at 175°C for 15 minutes. Let it sit on a wire rack to cool down. Keep the oven ON.
To make the apple pie filling:
- While the crust is in the oven, make the apple pie filling: Place all ingredients in a saucepan and cook for 3 – 4 minutes until the apple is soft. Set it aside to cool down a bit.
To make the maple glaze:
- Add all ingredients to a saucepan. Stir to combine and bring the mixture to boil. Once it boils, turn down the heat and cook to the ideal consistency.
- Spread some maple glaze onto the crust, then layer the apple slices from outside inwards. Drizzle the left maple glaze on top. Sprinkle the chopped walnuts on top.
- Return the pie pan to oven and bake for another 15 minutes until the crust is golden brown and your kitchen smells amazing!
- Once finishing baking, let it sit for 10 minutes before removing from the pan. EAT!
- 保存：放入密封盒中冷藏保存，約可放 1 星期，或冷凍 2 週
- *Oat flour: I often make my own by using my grinder to ground the rolled oats. You can use store-bought ones. If you are sensitive to gluten, make sure you choose the ones marked “gluten-free”, like this gluten-free oat flour.
- Storage: Store the leftover in an air-tight container in the fridge for 1 week or 2 weeks in the freezer.
- Adapted from The Happy Pear.