This post is also available in: 繁體中文
Buttery white beans covers in tomato creaminess, this Tomato White Bean Stew is hearty and super easy to make with 8 pantry-friendly ingredients.
Easy Tomato White Bean Stew
Yes, another recipe using white bean. Since I got tons of canned white bean, I’ve been thinking of different ways of using them.
Then I think it’s time for some white bean stew, which I’ve thinking to make for a long time. Hence it is!
And, as the epidemic goes on, I think many of us could use more pantry-friendly recipes more than usual.
Even though I’m in Taiwan, where the situation is better than many places, I think this is also a great recipe for busy or lazy people because you can store up the ingredients and make it when you have time.
INGREDIENTS FOR TOMATO WHITE BEAN STEW
I want to minimalize the ingredient list, so here is the 8 simple ingredients that might already be in your pantry.
- Olive Oil: It gives this stew a fruity undernote.
- Onion: It serves as our base flavor.
- Garlic: I love garlic and it really goes well with tomato.
- White Beans: I use canned white kidney beans because they are convenient and dry white beans are not easy to find in Taiwan.
- Canned Diced Tomatoes: I strongly recommend using canned tomatoes here because they have more depth of flavor.
- Tomato Puree: Add a deeper tomato-y flavor to this stew.
- Black Pepper: Add a little spicy tone to this dish.
- Maple Syrup: My favorite liquid sweetener in this world. It balances the acidity from the tomatoes.
HOW TO MAKE TOMATO WHITE BEAN STEW
This tomato white bean stew is a one-pot recipe, meaning all happens in a single pot and you don’t need to wash so many dishes.
- Cook the onion and garlic with oil until fragrant.
- Add the rest ingredients. Stir from time to time. Add water if needed.
- Taste to add salt if needed. Done!
Sounds really easy, right? It is!
And thanks to the canned tomatoes, we don’t need a lot of time to develop flavor. But sure it will have a deeper flavor if you make them ahead.
This tomato stew is a perfect make-ahead dish for meal-prep. I like to serve it as a side dish to my “mixed” bowl (or some people might call it buddha bowl).
The fruity flavor from the tomatoes and a slight sweetness from the maple are so great together. Try it and let me know how it went! : )
Interested in more vegan recipes? Check out:
Tomato White Bean Stew (8 ingredients) 番茄白腰豆燉煮
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Once the pan is hot, add the chopped onions and minced garlic. Cook and stir until they’re fragrant.
- Add the rest ingredients. Stir from time to time. Add water if the liquid evaporates too fast.
- Taste to add salt or more maple syrup if you feel like it. Enjoy with cooked rice or grains.
- Storage: Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for 4-6 days.
- 保存：放入密封盒中冷藏 4-6 天。