This post is also available in: 繁體中文
Silky smooth with a bit tangy, lemony flavor, this White Bean Hummus is perfect as a side dish or salty snack with crackers or vegetable sticks. And you only need 5 ingredients to make it!
If you’ve read my Tomato White Bean Soup before, you know that I got a lot of white kidney beans, right?
As I was pondering how to use these buttery, creamy white beans, I suddenly thought of hummus, which is one of my favorite things in the world.
So this White Bean Hummus was born. Well, made.
INGREDIENTS FOR SILKY WHITE BEAN HUMMUS
- White Kidney Beans: They are creamy and buttery like no others. I’m using canned white kidney beans because I couldn’t find dry ones. But if you can, you can cook your white beans as well.
- Tahini: I think it’s the soul of hummus. You seriously couldn’t make hummus without it. I prefer a runny one.
- Garlic: Another must for me in hummus. It gives this hummus depth of flavor. I like to use roasted garlic because it will make them less spicy. You can also use garlic powder as well if you prefer.
- Lemon Juice: It gives this hummus a sweet, tangy flavor that will brighten up your palate.
- Salt: It brings out the whole flavor from the beans and other ingredients.
OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR WHITE BEAN HUMMUS
- Olive Oil: Thanks to the white kidney beans, this hummus is already very smooth. But if you want it to be even smoother and richer, you can add a little bit of olive oil to this creamy goody.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Adding apple cider vinegar to hummus is my personal preference. It creates a different tangy flavor for this hummus. You just need a few drops to do the magic. A little bit goes a long way.
HOW TO MAKE WHITE BEAN HUMMUS
Making white bean hummus is just like making regular hummus. You just need to:
- Add all ingredients to a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Taste to add more seasoning if you like.
It’s really to make your own hummus at home as long as you have a food processor or blender. And you can make it within 5 minutes.
What’s more, you can customize your hummus by adding more seasoning to your liking. Here I give a pretty neutral-flavor recipe as a base for you. Feel free to add more salt or lemon juice if that’s your jam.
I usually make my own hummus in a food processor. You can just a blender if that’s what you have. Just be mindful that you might need more liquid if using a blender.
You can serve this white bean hummus immediately, but I prefer to transfer it into a jar and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours to let the flavor goes deeper.
I also like to enjoy it cold because it’s summer now when I’m typing these words. Jheeze, it’s already so hot in June in Taiwan.
Interested in more hummus variation? Check out:
Silky White Bean Hummus (5 ingredients) 絲滑綿潤白腰豆泥
- 1 can white kidney beans 白豆罐頭, net weight 240g, drained and rinsed
- 2-3 Tbsp tahini 中東芝麻醬
- 2 roasted garlic clove 烤過的蒜辦, or garlic powder
- 1-2 Tbsp lemon juice 黃檸檬汁, depending on how tangy your want
- ¼-½ tsp salt 鹽, to taste
- 1 tsp olive oil 橄欖油, optional
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar 蘋果醋, optional
- In a food processor, add all ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- Taste to add more seasoning to your own taste.
- Serve as you like or transfer to a jar. Refrigerate for a few hours to let the flavor go deeper.
- Storage: Store in the fridge for 4-5 days.