Read the post in: 繁體中文
Cozy, fruity, and satisfying, this Raspberry Apple Baked Steel-cut Oatmeal is a perfect breakfast, especially for spring!
Raspberry Apple Baked Steel-cut Oatmeal
Most of the time, I enjoy overnight oats for breakfast. But when it’s cold, I really want a warm, cozy baked oatmeal in the morning.
And due to the pandemic and rainy weather, I think it’s the perfect time for baking and making something new right now. So here I made this Raspberry Apple Baked Steel-cut Oatmeal, which is perfect for spring as well.
Common baked oatmeals usually use rolled oats, which is what I usually do. But the other day when I saw Nina’s video using steel-cut oats for baked oatmeal, I was totally determined to make it myself!
The texture of the baked steel-cut oats is really different from the one using rolled oats. Baked oatmeal using steel-cut oats is more solid and not so mushy as its counterpart.
If you find regular baked oatmeal too soft texture-wise, make this!
KEY INGREDIENTS FOR RASPBERRY APPLE BAKED STEEL-CUT OATMEAL
Here I list some main ingredients for this Raspberry Apple Baked Oatmeal.
- Steel-cut Oats: The hero of this baked oatmeal. They have a chewier, firmer texture compared with rolled oats. You can use it to make oatmeal too! (4-way Steel-cut Oatmeal Recipe)
- Apples: Use whatever type you have at hand. I use one Granny Smith and one Fuji. Honeycrisp or Gala apples will be perfect too!
- Raspberries: their beautiful fruity sour flavor always makes me feel the Spring vibes. I use frozen raspberries because they are more budget-friendly and juicier than fresh ones.
- Plant Milk: such as nut milk, soy milk, oat milk. I use oat milk to make this baked oatmeal “oattier”! (Is that a word? Anyway, you know what I mean.)
- Chia Seeds: help to absorb the moisture and hold it together.
- Flax Seeds: also act as a binder. And they also add more nutrients to this oatmeal.
The above ingredients are necessary for this baked oatmeal. You can definitely add more things like seeds and nuts to enrich it.
This time I add some pumpkin seeds, coconut flakes, and chopped dates. Other great options will be walnuts, pecans, almonds, cranberries, raisins, etc.
Just add things that you think will taste great with raspberries. If you want to add chocolate chips, I’ll not stop you. 😉
HOW TO MAKE RASPBERRY APPLE BAKED STEEL-CUT OATMEAL
It’s really easy to make this steel-cut baked oatmeal. You just need to:
1. Make the chia egg first by mixing the chia seeds with water.
2. Add the chia egg to the rest ingredients. Mix all together.
3. Pour the mixture into a baking dish. Bake for 45 minutes.
4. Let it sit for 5 minutes before scoop in.
5. Serve with maple syrup and additional plant milk if you like.
Thanks to the steel-cut oats, the texture is not mushy but on the chewy side. And the apples, raspberries, and dates really give it the sweet and fruity flavor that I adore in baked oatmeal.
I personally love to enjoy this baked oatmeal with a few dashes of almond milk or other nut milk and some maple syrup. It makes me feel so warm and cozy in the morning.
If you’re interested in more vegan breakfast ideas, check out:
- Vegan Blueberry Oat Breakfast Bars
- Crunchy Oat Squares (8 ingredients)
- Vegan Buckwheat Pancakes (7 ingredients)
Raspberry Apple Baked Steel-cut Oatmeal 覆盆莓蘋果烤鋼切燕麥
- 1 Tbsp ground chia seed 奇亞籽粉
- 240 ml (1 cup) water 水
- 130 g (½+⅓ cup) steel-cut oats 鋼切燕麥
- 160 (⅔ cup) plant milk 植物奶
- 2 tsp flax meal 亞麻籽粉
- 40 g (¼ cup) pitted dates 去籽椰棗乾, chopped
- 2 apples 蘋果, I use one Granny Smith, one Fuji
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) frozen raspberries 冷凍覆盆莓, plus more to decorate
- 1 heaping Tbsp pumpkin seeds 南瓜籽
- 1 heaping Tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes 無加糖椰子乾片, plus more to decorate
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon 肉桂粉
- Start by making the chia egg first by mixing the chia seeds with water in a small bowl. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, add the chia egg and the rest ingredients. Mix all together.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish. Drop another handful of raspberries on top to decorate if you like.
- Bake for about 45 minutes until firm and you should see out liquid ooze out from the edges.
- Remove from the oven. Let it sit for 5 minutes before scoop in.
- Serve with maple syrup and additional plant milk if you like.
- 於一小碗中混合奇亞籽和水，靜置 5 分鐘
- 倒入烤盤中，烘烤 45 分鐘至質地結實
- 取出，稍微放 5 分鐘再挖取
- Storage: Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for 4 days or 2 weeks in the freezer.
- Adapted from Nina Montagne