Read the post in: 繁體中文
Warm, Cozy, and super satisfying, this Vegan Red Pepper Tofu Chili should warm up your body and your heart on the cold days. It takes less than 30 minutes to make and all happens in one pot!
Vegan Red Pepper Tofu Chili
When it starts getting cold, the first thing comes to my mind is chili, I mean, besides curry. Chili is such a warming and cozy dish that really makes winter better. (I’m kind of the person who prefers cold days than hot ones.)
Traditional chili usually contains meat. Sure it’s not gonna happen here.😉
Instead of animal flesh (aka. meat), we’re going to use beans, which is high in protein, vitamins, and minerals. Most of all, they are great complements to your dish to make you feel more satisfied.
I use cooked black beans and green lentils in the picture. You can use other beans like chickpeas (one of my favs!), pinto beans, or kidney beans.
Another ingredient that I love and makes this chili more substantial is tofu. It also adds another layer to the overall texture.
This red pepper is the hero that makes this chili a bit different. It endows a fresh flavor into the tomato-based dish. I add some dried chopped onion for the final touch. You could also add fresh herbs to make it looks more palatable. (I didn’t have fresh herbs at hand, so sad)
You could enjoy this chili dish with warm rice, couscous, quinoa, or pita bread.
If you want more cozy dishes after this one, my Pumpkin Yellow Curry and Red Lentil Stew are there for you. Or you could also head down to the recipe index page to find more deliciousness. 🙂
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. If you make this recipe, don’t forget to tag @Barrelleaf + #barrelleaf on Instagram. I always love to see them and to know how it goes.
One-Pot Vegan Red Pepper Tofu Chili
- 2 tsp olive oil 橄欖油
- ½ onion 洋蔥, chopped
- 1 garlic clove 蒜瓣, minced
- ½ red bell pepper 紅甜椒, chopped into thin slices
- 200 g (7 oz) firm tofu 板豆腐, dried & cubed
- ½ tsp
smoked paprika 煙燻匈牙利紅椒粉
- ½ can (200 ml) chopped tomatoes 切塊番茄罐頭
- 120 ml (½ cup) tomato sauce 番茄紅醬, or marinara sauce
- 120 ml (½ cup) vegetable broth 蔬菜高湯, or water
- 1 Tbsp tomato puree 番茄糊, or ketchup
- ground black pepper 黑胡椒粉, to taste
- ½ small chili 辣椒, optional, add if you like spicy
- 1 tsp ground cumin 孜然粉
- ¼ tsp ground coriander 芫荽粉, optional
- ½ can (120g) cooked beans 煮熟豆子, I use a mix of lentils & black beans
- salt 鹽, optional, to taste
- Add oil to and small pot over medium heat.
- Once the pan is hot, add the chopped onions and minced garlic. Stir fry for about 1 minute until they are a little bit brown. Add a dash of hot water to the pan to deglaze the pan.
- Add the chopped belled pepper. Stir fry for another 1-2 minutes.
- Then add the cubed tofu. Gently stir and shake the pan to get them into the stir-fry party.
- Add the smoked paprika and black pepper. Stir to bring them together.
- Then add the tomato puree and tomato sauce. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Finally, add the cooked beans and stir all together. Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Taste to add salt if you like. Then it's done. Enjoy with couscous, rice, or quinoa as you want.