Read the post in: 繁體中文
Earthy, sweet, creamy, this Vegan Coconut Pumpkin Pie is not the traditional one, but it is one of the recipes that I think I’ll make again and again.
Vegan Coconut Pumpkin Pie
Have you made any pumpkin pie before? I was not familiar with pumpkin pie but I love them since I was a kid. Recently, I start to crave for pumpkin-flavored sweets.
Honestly, I really don’t know why, but that’s the reason why I made tons of pumpkin desserts in these few days. I’ve tried and tested with different ingredients and ratios. Some of them are waiting for improvement; others, including this coconut pumpkin pie, is so amazingly good!
This Coconut Pumpkin Pie is vegan, meaning no egg, no dairy, no animal products. It’s also nuts-free! So if you’re allergic to nuts, this recipe is your great choice!
PS. The pecans in the photos are just for photogenic reasons. I jsut thought that the color contrast between pecans and pumpkin pie looks great.
I’ve tried to make a baked crust with oats with baked pumpkin filling. But after the third try, I’m a bit tired and then want to make something different, a no-bake filling. And here are the two mini pumpkin pies in front of our eyes.
This recipe is adapted from one of my favorite authors, Angela. I’ve followed her after reading her cookbook The Oh She Glows Cookbook. And I accidentally saw her recipe post on pumpkin pie this time when I was browsing recipes. I’ve changed a bit due to personal preferences and habits.
This vegan coconut pumpkin pie is easy to make. And if you’ve baked some pie crust, you probably would find it easier.
I sprinkle some desiccated coconut and cacao nibs on top in the end as an addition for more texture and flavor.
This pumpkin pie ingredient list includes full fat coconut milk and coconut oil, which gives it a slight coconut-y undertone. The pumpkin pie filling is creamy, smooth, and satisfying.
I like coconut flavor really much, so when I tasted the pumpkin pie for the first time, I was really surprised and stunned by the delicious and beautiful flavor.
Different from common vegan crusts which use nuts, this pumpkin pie crust is made of sunflower seeds, which deliver a special earthy tone to this pumpkin pie, in a good way. I think it is the sunflower seeds that make this pie so incredible.
The Soul of This pie – Pumpkin Spice Mix
Another thing to note for making this delicious pumpkin pie is the Pumpkin Spice, which is a combination of multiple natural ground spices, like cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and clove.
This pie is half-baked, but the pie crust is not too hard after freezing, to my surprise. It’s crunchy and firm like cookies, that kind of pie crust I enjoy. With the creamy pumpkin pie filling inside, this vegan pumpkin pie is so delicious that I often eat a whole mini pie in one go.
Since I’ve made a ton of “not-so-good” pumpkin pies before, I was thinking whether it is my problem (that I didn’t into pumpkin puree in the first place). But after making this Vegan Coconut Pumpkin Pie, I think that’s definitely not the case. This Pumpkin Pie has become my “fall-addition,” if you well. I think I will double the recipe to make bigger or more next time.
全素迷你椰香南瓜派 Vegan Mini Coconut Pumpkin Pie (Gluten-Free)
For the crust 派皮
For the pumpkin pie filling 南瓜餡
- 60 ml (¼ cup) coconut cream 椰子奶油, from a can 從椰奶罐頭中取*
- 110 g (½ cup) pumpkin puree 南瓜泥 , or steamed pumpkins 或 蒸熟南瓜
- 4-6 Tbsp maple syrup 楓糖漿, 1/4 cup – 3/8 cup, 試味道調整
- 4 Tbs coconut oil 椰子油, melted 融化
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp sunflower seed butter 葵花籽醬
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 香草精
- ½-1 tsp pumpkin pie spice 南瓜派香料粉
- A pinch of salt 鹽
- 將烤箱以 175°C 預熱。模具底層抹少許油備用。(我是使用 3 個 4 吋分離塔模)
- 接著用叉子在派皮上擢幾個洞，將派皮放入烤箱以 175°C 烘烤 10-15 分鐘，至派皮邊緣呈淡金黃色，將模具取出置於網架上放涼，至少 20 分鐘
- 放入冷凍庫 2 小時或至完全凝固
- 脫模食用前，從冷凍庫取出解凍 5-10 分鐘，再灑上可可碎豆與椰蓉即可享用
- Preheat the oven at 175°C. Lightly grease the bottom of the pan. (I use 3 4″ pie pan with loose bottoms)
To make the crust
- Ground the sunflower seeds and rolled oats in a food processor first, then add the remaining ingredients for the crust and continue to process until the mixture can stick together when pressed between your fingers. Add some water if needed to help to bind the mixture.
- Press the crust mixture into the bottom of the pan. Slightly wet your hands if the mixture starts to stick to your fingers.
- Then use a fork to poke a few holes on the crust. Bake at 175°C for 10-15 minutes until the edges are golden. Move the pan onto a wire rack to cool down for at least 20 minutes.
To make the filling
- Divide the filling mixture onto the baked crust. Slightly wiggle the pan to smooth the tops.
- Then place into the freezer for 2 hours or until completely set. Remove from the pan.
- 保存：密封冷凍保存，約可放 2 星期
- I like to toast the sunflower seeds on a frying pan or skillet before using it because the toasted sunflower seeds will produce a deeper flavor than the raw ones.
- Coconut cream: Refrigerate one canned coconut milk. When about to use, open the can and scoop out the thick/ hard part for using. Save the leftover part for a smoothie or other recipes. Or you can use store-bought coconut cream.
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Store these pies in the freezer for 2 weeks.
- Recipe adapted from Oh She Glows