Read the post in: 繁體中文
This Japanese Onion Tofu is meatless, simple but still tasty. Served with a bowl of warm rice, this dish might let you eat more rice than you have expected.
Japanese Onion Tofu
If you know me well, you probably wouldn’t be surprised to see another tofu recipe. My favorite tofu dish is Mapo Tofu in Chinese cuisine, Steamed Stinky Tofu in Taiwanese, and onion tofu in Japanese. Another simple way to eat tofu is silken tofu drizzled with soy sauce, which will make me happy as it is.
Tofu is a super great ingredient. With the right seasoning, it can be very versatile. This Japanese Onion Tofu is one of the examples.
Both the ingredients and method are simple. You only need 8 ingredients to make this Japanese Onion Tofu. Most of them are seasoning. And if you’re in Asian or make Asian dishes from time to time, I think you already got them in your pantry.
This dish will take you less than 10 minutes, and you don’t even need to rush.
First, mix all the seasoning.
Then stir fry the onions until they are caramelized. This is a crucial step to make this dish amazing. The caramelization will bring the whole flavor to the next level.
Once the onions are brown, add the tofu cubes and fry them until crispy. Then add the pre-mixed seasoning and a dash of water to cook the tofu until they absorb the sauce. Done!
But for now, let’s make this simple Japanese Onion Tofu, shall we?
日式洋蔥燉豆腐 Vegan Japanese Onion Tofu (8 ingredients)
- ½ Tbsp vegetable oil 植物油
- ½ onion 洋蔥, chopped into slices
- ½ Tbsp white sesame seeds 白芝麻
- 200 g firm tofu 板豆腐, cubed
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce 醬油, or tamari for a gluten-free version
- 1 Tbsp mirin 味醂
- 1 Tbsp rice wine 米酒
- A dash of water 水, 適量
- A handful of chopped green onions 蔥花, 1 小把
- 放入白芝麻，拌炒約 30 秒，再放入豆腐丁塊，輕柔搖鍋晃動，將豆腐煎至表面金黃
- 接著於鍋內放入事先混合好的調味料，與稍微淹過豆腐 1/3 的水量，稍微混拌混合，之後加上蓋子，讓它燉煮 3-5 分鐘
- In a small bowl, mix the soy sauce, mirin, and rice wine together. Set it aside.
- Grab a frying pan over medium heat. Add oil first. Once the pan is hot, add the sliced onion. Stir until they start to caramelize.
- Add in the white sesame seeds. Continue to stir-fry for about 30 seconds. Then add the cubed tofu. Fry both sides of the tofu to golden. Gently shake the pan occasionally.
- Then add the pre-mixed sauce and water to about 1/3 height of the tofus. Stir the bring the sauce over the tofu. Place the lid on to let it cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Finally sprinkle some chopped spring onions. Give it a shake, and they are ready to be enjoy. I like to serve them with brown rice.