This post is also available in: 繁體中文
Remember in How I Met Your Mother, Season 9, Episode 1, the cookies that Tracy gives to Lily on the train? Yep, those “sumbitches.” As we know from Lily that “there’s chocolate and peanut butter and caramel in these sumbitches,” I assume that you also want some of them, right? And they are vegan!
HIMYM Sumbitches Cookies (Vegan)
I watched How I Met Your Mother about 5 years ago. It’s one of my favorite sitcoms even though the ending is not what I’ve expected and adore.
Anyway, I love the drama depicted throughout every season in which Ted seems to be never finding his girl and I’m so eager to know who the mom is but paradoxically not sure I really want to know it.
But, you know, the show is ended and there’s the answer. It’s like dropping down a huge rock which you’ve held so long (the show lasts 9 years) but you find yourself missing that heavy feeling on your hands. And that’s what I feel.
So, recently I just started to re-watch it again, and I think it would be fun to make some food in this show. The first one is going to be something sweet for sure, cus, you know me. : )
If you’re here, I bet you’ve watched How I Met Your Mother or at least heard of it. I hope you haven’t forgotten the sumbitches cookies that got “chocolate, and peanut butter, and caramel” sooth Lily, for a moment.
So, you know, I think that these sumbitches cookies needed to be in our life, too because we all have something messy happening in our real life, sometimes.
Even if you don’t (I envy that, by the way), these cookies are so good that I really want to share this recipe with you.
The three feature elements are still there: Chocolate, Peanut butter, and Caramel. But I one headnote is that they are really not the same “sumbitches” that Tracy offers because, one, they are vegan (which I believe is not the case for the cookies in Tracy’s hand). And second, they don’t have the “classic” caramel.
Don’t worried because these cookies do have a caramelly-flavored ingredient inside. If you’re familiar with my recipe (or the food I love), I bet you know what I’m talking about, right?
Yeap, the ingredient is date, one of my favorite food in the whole world. Dates are like natural sugar with a caramelly flavor and chewy texture.
You can use vegan caramel chips instead for sure. But since it’s hard for me to get vegan caramel chips (I’m in Taiwan), I’m just going to use what works at hand.
With chocolate chips and peanut butter (by the way they are the two things I love the most in the whole world), these sumbitches cookies are seriously to dive for.
And you only need 10 ingredients (minus the salt and water) to make these sumbitches cookies too! And I think if you make my recipes quite often, they’re probably already in your pantry.
The ingredients are: ground flaxseed, coconut oil, peanut butter, coconut sugar, vanilla extract, spelt flour, ground almond, baking soda, chocolate chips, and dates.
I use whole wheat spelt flour to make these cookies more nutritious and that might also serve as an excuse for me making them two times a week.
I also coconut sugar as the sweetener because they literally smell and taste like caramel. If you haven’t used coconut sugar before, I really recommend you to give it a try.
These sumbitches cookies are crunchy, sweet yet not upsetting-sweet, and you know it couldn’t go wrong when it got chocolate and peanut butter in the ingredient list. : )
If you love cookies as I do, you might also enjoy:
- 6-Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
- Vegan Double Chocolate Cookies
- Vegan Spelt Almond Pulp Chocolate Chip Cookies
Some final thoughts:
- I use whole wheat spelt flour in this recipe because that’s what I have at hand. You could also use white spelt flour or all-purpose flour as well, which will produce a lighter texture. But you might need to add more coconut oil (about 1/2 Tbsp) or add a bit cold water to bring the mixture together.
- Coconut sugar has a caramel-y undertone that’s really essential in this recipe. The other substitution is turbinado sugar. Just make sure you whisk until the turbinado sugar dissolves in the oil-sugar mixture.
- I’ve already cut down the oil and sugar to the minimal amount so no reduction on both is recommended.
HIMYM Sumbitches Cookies (Vegan, w/ Chocolate Peanut Butter & Caramel)
- Preheat the oven at 175 C / 350 F.
- Start by making our "flex egg": In a small bowl, add the ground flaxseed and water and mix them together. Set it aside.
- In another mixing bowl, add the peanut butter, coconut oil, coconut sugar, and vanilla extract. Use a fork to whisk them together until they cream together.
- Add spelt flour, ground almond, salt, and baking soda. Mix to combine.
- Add the chocolate chips. Save some for decoration.
- Chop the dates into small pieces.
- Place a baking mat on a baking sheet. Scoop out about a tablespoon of the mixture. Wrap a piece of dates inside the mixture and shape it into a ball.
- Place the ball on the baking mat and press it into a disk shape. Repeat the same to finish all the mixture. This recipe makes about 10 small cookies.
- Press the rest chocolate chips on the cookies. Sent them to bake for 12-15 minutes until they are slightly brown and your kitchen should smell amazing too.
- Let them sit in the oven for 5 minutes. Then transfer the baking sheet onto a wire rack to cool down completely. Enjoy!
- *I use whole wheat spelt flour in this recipe because that’s what I have at hand. You could also use white spelt flour or all-purpose flour as well, which will produce a lighter texture. But you might need to add more coconut oil (about 1/2 Tbsp) or a bit cold water to bring them together.
- Store the cookies in an air-tight jar at room temperature for 2 weeks.