前陣子逛菜市場的時候，就熊熊發現了它的蹤跡。原本是要買櫛瓜的，結果後來看到它就變心，買了一大顆回家準備要來料理。第一個想拿它來做的料理就是有著天然美麗粉紅色澤的 甜菜根湯 !
I remember that I saw beets for the first time on a TV show. Their special purple red color makes me wonder and curious. I think I am a frequent guest in market, but I really have not saw them before.
I google and find that Taiwan has beets, too, but only in their production season. It’s between Febuary and April, September and Octorbor (according to my google results).
A few days ago, I found them in the traditional market. I was there for zucchini, actually, but I changed my mind once I saw the beets. I bought one large beet, thinking something to make. One of them is this beatiful pink red beet soup!
I find the beets in the online recipe tend to be small and purple on the outside, but what I found in the tradictional market in Taiwan are really big. Each weighs around 600 gram. And I find their inner parts are slighly different, too. So I think maybe there are different types of beets. But they looks alike anyway… so I think there should be no problem for one soup recipe.
I ate one slice when I was chopping the beet, finding that it actually taste a little bit like raw carrots, a little sweet and an “earthy taste” comes out after chewing for a while. It’s OK to me, but I think some people may say no because of it. But the earthy flavor can be easily covered by other ingredients in cooking, like the one in carrots does.
I saw many cooking and baking recipe online, and from time to time I notice there are beet soups among them. With the natural batalain pigments in beets, the soups are beatiful and stunning.
I saw a few recipe on beets soup, and dicide to make this one, mainly because I have most of the ingredients at hand, and the process seems easy. There is no any added sugar in this recipe, but the finished product tastes quite sweet in terms of soups. As a sweet tooth, I really like it!
This one pot can serve about 3-4 people. I made them only for myself, so I just store the leftover in the fridge. Reheat them in a microwave oven or in a small pot before eatting. Sometimes I add some vegis to make the soup more rich and nutritious. The cabbage is on the season, so I add some to cook along. It also turns out great.
Let’s make this beautiful, flavorful, and nutritious soup!
(※ 可延伸食譜但請勿直接複製內文，並請註明出處與原文網址 ※)
Fresh Veggie Beet Soup
- 作者 Author: 桶子葉 Barrelleaf / Nora Hsu
- 參考改自 Adapted from:Self Proclaimed Foodie)
- 特別器具 Special tools：
- 食材 Ingredients
- 橄欖油 1 Tbs
- 中型洋蔥, 切丁 1/2 顆
- 西洋芹, 切碎 1根
- 中型胡蘿蔔, 去皮切薄片 1/2 根
- 蒜頭, 切末 1瓣
- *薑, 切末 1元硬幣大小
- 甜菜根, 去皮切薄片 半顆大的
- 水or雞高湯 240 ml (2 杯)
- 鹽 適量
- 黑胡椒粉 適量
- *白胡椒粉 (非必要) 少許
- *烤過的蕃茄 (非必要) 2 顆
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 medium carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 small coin size of ginger, minced
- 1/2 big beetroot, peeled and thinkly sliced
- 240 ml (2 cups) water or chicken stock
- salt and pepper to tase
- A dash of ground white pepper* (optional)
- 2 baked tomatoes* (optional)
- *I add ginger because I want to remove the “earthy taste” in beets. (one of my google results)
- *The original recipe does not include baked tomatoes and white pepper, but when I taste the soup, I think it would be better if I add them. So I did, and it turned out great! I chop my tomatoes and toss them in some olive oil and sea salt, then bake for about 20 minutes at 180 Celsius until soft.
- 準備工作 Preparation
- Prepare all ingredients.
Heat the oil in the pot over a medium high heat. Once the oil is heated, add onions, carrots and celery to cook until soft. Stir occasionally.
Add the minced garlic and ginger. Cook and keep stiring until the fragrance comes out.
Add the beets. Cook and stir for another 2-3 minutes.
Add the water (or chicken stock) and bring to a boil.
Then reduce the heat to a simmer.
Cover and keep cooking until the beets are tender.
You can smell the sweetness of the beets!
Then use a blender to blend until smooth. If you like some chuncks in your soup, you can scoop out some first, then add them after the blending.
I was too lazy to take the blender, so I used a hand blender at first. But I found that the hand blender could not blend all very well, so I still used my high speed blender to finish the job.
Add the seasonings to taste: salt, black pepper, white pepper, baked tomatoes. Stir to combine. Serve.
- 1 Tbs olive oil 橄欖油
- 1/2 medium size onion, dice 中型洋蔥, 切丁 1/2顆
- 1 stalk celery 西洋芹, 切碎 1根
- 1 medium size carrot 中型胡蘿蔔, 去皮切薄片 1/2根
- 1 clove garlic 蒜頭, 切末 1瓣
- 1 coin-size ginger *薑, 切末 1元硬幣大小
- 1/2 big beets 甜菜根, 去皮切薄片 半顆大的
- 240 ml water or chicken stock 水or雞高湯
- salt to taste 鹽 適量
- ground black pepper to taste 黑胡椒粉 適量
- some ground white pepper *白胡椒粉 (非必要) (optional)
- 2 baked tomatoes *烤過的蕃茄 (非必要) (optional)
- Heat the oil in the pot over a medium high heat. Once the oil is heated, add onions, carrots and celery to cook until soft. Stir occasionally.
- Add the water (or chicken stock) and bring to a boil.
- Add the beets. Cook and stir for another 2-3 minutes.
- Then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cover and keep cooking until the beets are tender.
- You can smell the sweetness of the beets!
- Then use a blender to blend until smooth. If you like some chuncks in your soup, you can scoop out some first, then add them after the blending.
- Add the seasonings to taste: salt, black pepper, white pepper, baked tomatoes. Stir to combine. Serve.
You Might Be Interested ….
🔽 新創 FB社團，歡迎大家加入 🔽
『自然飲食小廚房 Healthy Clean Kitchen』